Saturday, September 28, 2013

Wildflower Wednesday (ok, Saturday) in Purple and Yellow

This time of year the wildflowers that jump out at me are of course all the different Goldenrod varieties that are blooming now.  There are about 60 species of Goldenrod, Solidago native to North America.  Pair that gorgeous yellow with some of the purple blooms are are gracing us with their presence to complement the yellows.   This is along the road as I go into town.  A field of Solidago with Ironweed, Vernonia noveboracensis creating a dreamy mixture of golden yellows and bold purples.

I stopped the car and walked over to the edge of this road to try and get a great photo as evening fell.  I was worried that there wouldn't be enough light.   For your viewing pleasure.... purple Vernonia and yellow Solidago growing wild along the roadside.

This year I was able to buy some Vernonia noveboracensis at the native plant sale.  Mine isn't quite this tall yet, we shall see over the next few years if it is happy where I planted it.


This wonderful example in nature makes me smile, it is a happy happenstance.  

While mine are small, I will enjoy these big and bold natives.  

Another purple and yellow combination a little closer to home are some Liatris and Chamaecrista fasciculata or Partridge Pea.  This is just outside our back gate of the neighborhood.

Here is a closer view of  the Partridge Pea, a favorite of the Cloudless Sulphur butterfly.



The pollinators are happy with these bright yellow blooms.  I am happy to say I have a number of varieties of Solidago in my yard.  Thanks to Ellen, this is not a Solidago but a Chrysopsis mariana, Golden Aster.  Thanks!!!


Also appearing in my yard is Liatris, (happy dance!!) I bought some that are in the backyard gardens, they bloom in the late spring/early summer.  These natives bloom in the fall.  Hoping they reseed and spread in this rather hostile dry area by the street.  



I wanted to include a new little bloom.  This sweet little flower's common name is Wart-removing Herb.  Such a icky name for a cute little flower.   It is Murdannia keisak.  It is growing in a damp area in the turf.

Doesn't this remind you of a Spiderwort?  One of the links says it is similar to a miniature Spiderwort.



I stumbled across another purple/yellow combo this afternoon while enjoying my woodland garden in the backyard.  Blue Lobelia, Lobelia siphilitica and another Solidago.  Wonderful!!

Thanks to Gail at Clay and Limestone for hosting another Wildflower Wednesday.  Stop by and see some of the other natives across the country and around the world.

©Copyright 2013 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

16 comments:

  1. Such a pretty color combination! I love those purples and yellows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I love all the flower natives with their bold colors! It makes me so happy to see these growing along the roadside supporting all the wildlife. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love purple and yellow! Looks like the yellow plant with the big bee is Maryland aster, Chrysopsis mariana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Wildflowers! I love purple flowers and they look marvelous with yellows! Partridge Pea is a favorite of mine that I finally got established, well, if one year count as established! The seed pods are beautiful, too. So glad you shared these beauties~and the late blooming liatris have a lot more character than the earlier! xogail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't get any prettier than that! What an incredible wildflower display! Love purple and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the look of ironweed and am adding some this fall to the garden and meadow...my tall asters are a great contrast to my goldenrod...so many gorgeous native flowers to share Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the purple and yellow combos that Mother Nature has planted; it would be hard to imitate such a beautiful planting. The little Murdianna is a new one to me--such sweet little blooms. I also didn't realize there was a late-blooming liatris--I'll have to check into that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purple and Gold, my High School colors! Go Wildcats! I have never noticed the Ironweed like I have this year. I think all the rain this summer really brought it out although, I don't seem to see much in our area but more so in the Hill Country of TN a couple of weeks ago. I have never noticed Liatris blooming in the fall before! I noticed several people posting of them this year. How cool to have a Fall bloomer and native too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, you're lucky to have such a riot of native color to look at on your drives back and forth. I don't have a good memory/association like Skeeter, but would take purple and bold yellow in my garden anytime. Hope you're doing well. (I've been taking a blogging break - just coming out of the hole)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. Hard to beat pruple and yellow at this time of year, so determinedly cheerful in the face of impending short days and bad weather. That Vernonia is stunning, looks very garden-worthy, if it isn't too thuggish. What a treat to have such a display so nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet! That Murdannia keisak does remind a Spiderwort! And what a lovely color!.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great colour combination, I love that this is all the work of mother nature. She does it best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden photography is absolutely gorgeous. I absolutely love the detail and the bold colors and color combinations you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful, Janet! We don't have such a rich diversity of wildflowers so close to home -- except for tons of Canada goldenrod. Love Vernonia, and wish I could give it the sunshine it would need to grow in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy the combinations nature gives us in wildflowers. The first image is such a fine example of yellow and purple.

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.